Shop by Category
Home and Garden Ideas
Home and Garden Resources
Valentine's Day Ideas for Couples and Singles
© 2003 by Liz Hekimian-Williams
Who do you think expresses more love and has more fun on Valentine's Day, couples or singles? I've rounded up some fun ideas for both groups of folks and included them in this article. Let's see who you think might "win" in love, in fun, and in realizing the spirit of this holiday.
Ideas for couples...
1. Get splashing- Enjoy a bath, jacuzzi, swimming pool, together. If you don't have one of your own, book an evening on or around this holiday to get away and get splashing together.
2. Get cooking- Find a romantic restaurant for a meal you can splurge on. Get grilling together to create a fabulous Barbeque meal extravaganza.
Or, just decide on a dessert you both love, get the ingredients and cook it up for a special mouthwatering treat to share that day.
3. Get moving- Go for a quiet walk together to chat, express your love and get a little exercise too!
4. Get artsy- Find some art show or galleries to visit or attend some cultural event or festival in your area.
5. Get family fun- Decorate for Valentine's Day with the kids and everyone make love coupons for each other. Incorporate family fun that day with love surprises throughout the day and encourage your kids to come up with love surprises for siblings and adults as well. What's a love surprise? Say, do, or give something to express your love and make the other person feel happy.
6. Get giving to your community- Go give some donations of "things" or spend some volunteer time at local places of need, including churches, children's centers, homeless shelters, domestic violence programs. Spread a little love and care there together.
7. Get a bigger family- If married and childless, consider expanding your family with a child. Do you wish to and are you ready to share your love with a child of your own? You can think about bringing a new child into the world and also about adopting a child from foster care or orphanages. There are many children waiting in the United States and in other countries for parents and their own forever families.
8. Get sentimental- Take turns reading romantic short stories or love poems to each other. Write up your own romantic expression or poem to share with each other to make this even more meaningful and fun.
Ideas for Singles...
1. Get playful- Find a child to share your love and fun with, it could be your younger sister or brother, a niece or nephew, your child, or your neighbor's child. Or, consider joining your local Big Brother/ Big Sister non-profit group so you can spend some quality time that makes a difference with your new "little brother" or "little sister" friend.
2. Get inspired- Depending on your focus in your life at this moment, get a relevant inspirational book or ebook to read. If focused on personal improvement or appreciating your single life, then enjoy and read materials about those topics. If interested in improving relationship skills and seeking to pair up or you are about to marry, then enjoy materials focused on these themes. You can spend time at the library, in a book store, or just curled up in your favorite chair at home savoring one of these inspirational books.
3. Get connected- Call or visit with a loved family member or friend. Express your caring and love by remembering them at Valentine's Day. You may wish to contact someone you haven't talked to in a long time.
4. Get contagious (in a good way!)- Send Valentine's Day e-cards and postal cards to folks you care about and spread some love and joy.
5. Get a pet- Consider adopting a pet. There are a lot of dogs and cats in need of your love and care and waiting for families at the local animal shelters.
6. Get travelling- Plan and take a cruise where you can enjoy yourself and meet a lot of folks. Try to take a cruise out of a port that may be closer to whatever city you live in just in case you find a friend or romantic interest. Chances may be greater that they would also reside in or nearer to your city as well.
7. Get involved- Donate time to non-profit groups such as visiting a nursing home and spending some quality time with a lonely elderly person who may not get many visitors or out much. There are many other groups you could join or help out with as well where you can touch the life of another person.
8. Get treated- Treat yourself to a "love surprise gift". Think about something you can give yourself to make yourself feel good about yourself and joyful. Try a first time treat, perhaps something you've fantasized about doing but haven't done yet. For instance, you could schedule yourself a massage or a morning or day at a spa, buy yourself something you've been wanting as a personal item or something you've been dreaming of getting for your home. You could simply enjoy a good rental movie at home or a new release at the movie theatre. Go by yourself or invite a friend.
And the winner is... both couples and singles!
Here's why. Both groups can feel personal joy as well as spread love and happiness to others. That's the spirit of the holiday. That's how you can better enjoy Valentine's Day... just share your love and we all win!
About the Author:
Liz Hekimian-Williams is founder of Giftsprings.com, a writer and professional counselor. She enjoys family life with her husband and their three children in Florida. Giftsprings.com is a gifts and home decor shop featuring gifts and personalized gifts for special occasions as well as many home accessories for creative home decorating. http://www.Giftsprings.com
© 2003 by Liz Hekimian-Williams
Publishing Guidelines: Feel free to publish this article in its entirety, electronically, or in print, as long as you include the bylines and resource box along with the active links. Please let the author know of your use of this article and it url location by contacting her through Giftsprings.com - see Contact Us page for email address to use. If reprinted in a print publication, please send Giftsprings a courtesy copy of the issue in which the article appears. For more articles available by this author, visit http://www.giftsprings.com/category/00135
Your basket is empty